Anglers who fish in Lake of the Woods, Roseau, Kittson, Marshall, Pennington and parts of Koochiching counties benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Baudette area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Phil Talmage and a staff of three full-time employees manage 5 fishing lakes and 730 miles of rivers and streams, including popular fishing destinations such as the Lake of the Woods, the Rainy River, and the Red River.
- What we do
At work for you
Baudette staff tag a lake sturgeon before releasing it back into the Rainy River. Fisheries biologists use the information gained to understand movement, habitat use, reproduction and harvest rates to responsibly manage this highly prized recovering fishery.
- Managing the multi-species Lake of the Woods fishery as a sustainable resource for current and future generations. Which includes annual monitoring and population projects.
- Managing and monitoring fish stocks in the Rainy and Red rivers.
- Coordinating and distributing lake sturgeon eggs for the Red River Lake Sturgeon Recovery Program.
- Managing the fishery resources in four reservoirs within state and municipal parks.
- Working with Ontario on management of shared resources to ensure that Minnesota citizens' interests are represented.
- Area highlights
- Fishing the Red River of the north
- Stocking - Check the LakeFinder
- Surveys - Check the LakeFinder
- Fish information, regulations, and water levels
- Northwest Minnesota fisheries management work
- Events and maps
- Area staff
Contact our Baudette staff
Phil Talmage Area supervisor 218-634-2522, Ext. 230 [email protected] Dennis Topp Assistant area supervisor 218-634-2522, Ext. 233 [email protected] Brett Nelson Large lake specialist 218-634-2522, Ext. 234 [email protected] Mike Wolf Fisheries specialist 218-634-2522, Ext. 235 [email protected] LeAnn Nesmith Office administrative specialist 218-634-2522, Ext. 222 [email protected]