Anglers who fish in Itasca and western St. Louis counties benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Grand Rapids area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor David Weitzel and a staff of eight full-time and up to nine short-term seasonal hatchery employees manage 618 fishing lakes and hundreds of miles of rivers and streams. These waters include popular fishing destinations such as Lake Winnibigoshish as well as Bowstring, Cut Foot Sioux and Pokegama lakes.
- What we do
At work for you
The Grand Rapids fisheries crew takes walleye eggs at Little Cut Foot Sioux Lake during the spring spawn.
- Conducting fisheries assessments on approximately 35 area lakes and/or rivers per year to provide data for fish management planning and public information.
- Manage Lake Winnibigoshish as part of the DNR's large lake monitoring program.
- Operate the largest walleye spawn egg-taking effort in the state at Little Cut Foot Sioux Lake, collecting more than 180 million eggs each spring.
- Operate the Grand Rapids State Fish Hatchery, which produces more than 20 million walleye fry each year.
- Manage stream trout in eight lakes and four former mine pits, each of which contains one or more of the following: rainbow trout, brown trout, brook trout and splake.
- Coordinate with stakeholders, lake associations, local governments, the National Forest Service and the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwa on environmental issues and fisheries concerns.
- Area highlights
Call 218-328-8782 for general information not related to fisheries
- Stocking - Check the LakeFinder
- Surveys - Check the LakeFinder
- Trout Fishing Opportunities - Check the Trout Angling Opportunities in Northeast Guide
- Area Trout Stocking Plan
- Cut Foot Sioux walleye spawning
- Grand Rapids Area special regulations
- 2017 Winnibigoshish newsletter
- Bluegill and Black Crappie Management
- 2017 Grand Rapids Area Newsletter
- Area staff
Contact our Grand Rapids staff
Dave Weitzel Area supervisor 218-328-8836 firstname.lastname@example.org Matt Ward Assistant area supervisor 218-328-8836 email@example.com Sandy DeLeo Office administrative specialist 218-328-8836 firstname.lastname@example.org Gerry Albert Large lake specialist 218-328-8836 email@example.com Kris Koski Fisheries specialist 218-328-8836 firstname.lastname@example.org Doyle Hass Fisheries specialist 218-328-8836 email@example.com Steve Mero Fisheries specialist 218-328-8836 firstname.lastname@example.org Mark Henry Fisheries specialist 218-328-8836 email@example.com Warren Foster Fisheries technician 218-328-8836 firstname.lastname@example.org