Ortonville, MN 56278
Anglers who fish near the headwaters of the Minnesota River in Traverse, Big Stone, western Lac Qui Parle, western Swift, western Yellow Medicine and northern Lincoln counties benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Ortonville area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Chris Domeier and a staff of five employees manage 50 fishing lakes and 2,000 miles of rivers and streams. Those waters include popular fishing destinations such as the Big Stone, Lac Qui Parle and Traverse lakes – shallow productive fisheries that produce abundant yellow perch, walleyes, northern pike and panfish.
Where to go
If you want a quick look at where you might try fishing next, take a look at our fishing outlook, which we've updated for 2020.
For additional information, check out the Ortonville area fisheries newsletter.
Hear from an expert
The Ortonville Area staff are happy to give presentations to school groups, sportsman's clubs or any local group interested in learning more about the aquatic environment. Anyone interested should contact the Ortonville office via email at [email protected] or telephone at 320-839-2656.
Lake name County Artichoke
Lac qui Parle
Lac qui Parle
- Our work
- Conducting 25 assessments of fish populations annually and providing this information to stakeholders.
- Stocking area waters with walleye, northern pike, lake sturgeon, panfish and trout.
- Operating 40 rearing ponds to produce walleye fingerlings, yearlings and adults to meet statewide stocking needs.
- Partnering with stakeholders on fish habitat projects, including the Marsh Lake Ecosystem Restoration Project, dam removals, spawning areas and shoreline stabilizations.
- Coordinating management of border waters with the South Dakota Game Fish & Parks Department.
- Providing fish for county fair displays and school educational events.
Slide text left for phones & emails
Chris Domeier Area fisheries supervisor 320-839-2656 [email protected] Kyle Anderson Assistant area fisheries supervisor 320-839-2656 [email protected] BJ Bauer Fisheries specialist 320-839-2656 [email protected] Doug Pierzina Fisheries technician 320-839-2656 [email protected] Jeff Malzahn Fisheries technician 320-839-2656 [email protected] Danielle Hage Office administrative specialist 320-839-2656 [email protected]