Grand Marais area fisheries staff perform management, habitat and oversight work for 727 fishing lakes and 1,200 miles of rivers and streams in Cook County.
Popular area waters are Saganaga Lake, North Shore steelhead streams and the east end of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
Where to find us1356 Highway 61 East
Grand Marais, MN 55604
- News & notices
Get out on the ice
Ice fishing can be mystifying so we've developed how-to guides and videos so you can learn what you need and what to do on the ice this winter.
Ice never is 100% safe
You can't judge ice's strength from its appearance, age, thickness or air temperature. Learn how to be safe on the ice this winter.
- Fishing opportunities
Area lakes by county
Learn to fish
- Survey schedule
Dates are subject to change depending on staffing, site accessibility and weather conditions.
- May 9: Place water temperature monitors in 15 streams
- May 16: Assess water quality in Greenwood Lake and Trout Lake (completed monthly throughout the summer)
- May 23: Collect fish for disease testing from Mayhew Lake
- June 6: Survey Indian Camp Creek, Monker Lake and Gogebic Lake
- June 13: Survey Morgan and Merganser lakes
- June 20: Survey Crooked and Wampus lakes
- June 27: Survey Fay and Otter lakes
- July 4: Survey Caribou, Murmur and Woods creeks, and Homer Lake
- July 11: Survey Bigsby, Monker and Caribou (near Lutsen) lakes
- July 18: Survey Red Rock Lake and assess walleye natural reproduction in Devil Track Lake
- July 25: Survey Tait and Ball Club lakes, and the Brule River
- Aug. 1: Survey Indian Camp, Mistletoe and Monker creeks, and the Cascade River
- Aug. 8: Survey the Flute Reed and Onion rivers, and Kadunce, Kimball, Bally and Junco creeks
- Aug. 15: Survey White Pine Lake, the Devil Track and North Brule rivers, and Irish Creek
- Aug. 22: Survey Greenwood and Gneiss lakes
- Aug. 29: Survey Durfee Creek and Gust Lake
- Sept. 5: Survey East Pike Lake
- Sept. 12: Survey Pine Lake (near McFarland)
- Sept. 19: Survey West Pike Lake
- Talk with us
Grand Marais staff
Slide text left for phones & emails
Vacant Area supervisor Matt Weberg Assistant area supervisor 218-387-6021 [email protected] Vacant Fisheries technician Steve Jungclaus Fisheries technician 218-387-6021 [email protected]