Anglers who fish in Swift, Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Yellow Medicine, northern Lyon and eastern Lac Qui Parle counties benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Spicer area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Dave Coahran and a staff of six full-time employees manage 40 fishing lakes and 200 miles of rivers and streams. These waters include popular fishing destinations such as Green Lake, Lake Koronis and Foot Lake along with numerous small- and medium-sized glacial and prairie lakes known for excellent bass, walleye, northern pike and panfish angling.
- What we do
At work for you
The Spicer crew takes walleye eggs at the New London hatchery.
- Collecting and providing millions of walleye eggs for statewide hatching operations. This includes hatching 45 to 60 million walleye fry each year that are stocked in local managed lakes and rearing ponds for the statewide fingerling stocking program.
- Producing 5,000 to 15,000 lbs. of walleye fingerlings from rearing ponds for area and statewide stocking needs.
- Rearing up to 10,000 muskellunge fall fingerlings for statewide stocking needs.
- Stocking 38 lakes with various sizes of walleye and other fish species as needed to enhance game fish populations.
- Providing environmental education to more than 3,000 people at area schools, environmental learning centers and events.
- Conducting annual fish surveys, aquatic habitat inventories and special assessments on 20 or more lakes.
- Area highlights
Lake Surveys and research provide the information used to select appropriate management tools, such as: protecting and restoring habitats and water quality; regulating the harvest; stocking and public education.
New London Hatchery
- Area staff
Contact our Spicer staff
Dave Coahran Area supervisor 320-796-2161 [email protected] Brad Carlson Assistant area supervisor 320-796-2161 [email protected] Jeff Tellock Fisheries specialist (new london hatchery) 320-354-2310 je[email protected] Gary May Fisheries specialist 320-796-2161 [email protected] Barry Flanders Fisheries technician 320-796-2161 [email protected] Nathan Johnson Fisheries technician 320-796-2161 [email protected] Toni Tessman Office administrative specialist 320-796-2161 [email protected]