Tower, MN 55790-8304
Anglers who fish in northern St Louis and northern Lake counties benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Tower area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Edie Evarts and a staff of six full-time and additional part-time hatchery employees manage more than 900 fishing lakes and 2,200 miles of rivers and streams. These waters include many popular fishing lakes in the western region of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Lake Vermilion – a premier walleye and muskellunge destination.
- What we do
- Managing Lake Vermilion, a 40,000-acre fishery.
- Managing and stocking 25 stream trout lakes with one or more of the following species – brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout and splake.
- Managing and protecting 33 deep, clear water lakes with lake trout populations, many in remote Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness locations.
- Collecting more than 100 million walleye eggs per year at the Pike River hatchery and spawn take.
- Stocking walleye in 50 lakes with inadequate natural reproduction to support fisheries.
- Rearing more than 2,500 Leech Lake strain muskellunge for stocking.
- Area highlights
- Area staff
Contact our Tower staff
Edie Evarts Area fisheries supervisor 218-300-7803 [email protected] Jeff Eibler Assistant area fisheries supervisor 218-300-7804 [email protected] Matt Hennen Large lake specialist (Vermilion) 218-300-7810 [email protected] Jer Malley Office and administrative specialist 218-300-7802 [email protected] Brent Flatten Fisheries specialist 218-300-7807 [email protected] Dale Anderson Fisheries technician 218-300-7806 [email protected] Andy Levar Fisheries technician 218-300-7809 [email protected] Jeff Mueller Fisheries technician 218-300-7808 [email protected]