Track chairs are all-terrain, electric powered chairs that can be used on designated trails within the park. These chairs can help visitors explore areas of the state parks in new ways, often on trails that are not suitable for regular wheelchairs.
To reserve a chair, call the park you plan to visit. Chairs are - or will soon be - available at these locations:
- Camden State Park, 507-872-7031
- Crow Wing State Park, 218-825-3075 - track chair trails map
- Lake Bemidji State Park, 218-308-2300 - track chair trails map
- McCarthy Beach State Park, 218-274-7200 (Beach chair)
- Maplewood State Park, 218-863-8383 (available fall 2022) - track chair trails map
- Myre-Big Island State Park, 507-668-7060
These chairs are available to anyone who has a need. Call ahead to reserve a chair to be sure it will be available when you arrive. You will be asked to sign a waiver when you check it out. No other documentation is required.
There is no charge to use the chair, but a state park vehicle permit is required for all vehicles entering the park. There are discounted vehicle permits if you have a vehicle hang tag for a disability.
Park staff are not available to help with transfer to or from the chair. If you need help with transfer, please bring someone who can assist you. Each location has a transfer board available. If you have additional transfer equipment that works with your personal chair, please bring that along.
You'll be adventuring in nature, so we recommend you bring a water bottle, bug spray, sunscreen, snacks, a sun hat, and rain gear or extra layers depending on the weather. And your sense of adventure!