Program expanding to 13 state parks in August 2023
Track chairs are all-terrain, electric powered chairs that can be used on designated trails within the park. These chairs can help visitors explore areas of the state parks in new ways, often on trails that are not suitable for regular wheelchairs.
Track chairs are available year-round in some locations, and seasonally in others. Please call ahead to ensure a track chair will be available during your visit.
To reserve a chair, call the park you plan to visit. Chairs are - or will soon be - available at these locations:
- Blue Mounds State Park, 507-283-6050 - track chair trails map
- Camden State Park, 507-872-7031 - track chair trails map
- Crow Wing State Park, 218-825-3075 - track chair trails map
- Father Hennepin State Park, 320-676-8763 - track chair trails map
- Fort Snelling State Park, 612-279-3550 - track chair trails map
- Frontenac State Park, 651-299-3000 - track chair trails map
- Itasca State Park, 218-699-7251 track chair trails map
- Lake Bemidji State Park, 218-308-2300 - track chair trails map
- Lake Carlos State Park, 320-852-7200 - track chair trails map
- McCarthy Beach State Park, 218-274-7200 track chair trails map
- Maplewood State Park, 218-863-8383 - track chair trails map
- Myre-Big Island State Park, 507-668-7060 - track chair trails map
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, 218-595-7625 - track chair trails map
These chairs are available to anyone who has a need. Call ahead to reserve a chair to be sure it will be available when you arrive. You will be asked to sign a waiver when you check it out. No other documentation is required.
There is no charge to use the chair, but a state park vehicle permit is required for all vehicles entering the park. There are discounted vehicle permits if you have a vehicle hang tag for a disability.
Park staff are not available to help with transfer to or from the chair. If you need help with transfer, please bring someone who can assist you. Each location has a transfer board available. If you have additional transfer equipment that works with your personal chair, please bring that along.
You'll be adventuring in nature, so we recommend you bring a water bottle, bug spray, sunscreen, snacks, a sun hat, and rain gear or extra layers depending on the weather. And your sense of adventure!
Other adaptive equipment
McCarthy Beach State Park offers an adaptive beach chair, so everyone can enjoy a swimming beach experience at one of the finest beaches in the Minnesota state park system. A mat across the sandy beach provides easy access to the waterfront, and the beach chair can go right into the water. The beach chair floats in the water thanks to floating armrests and wheels.
To reserve the adaptive beach chair, please call McCarthy Beach State Park at 218-274-7200.