People can receive venison through our harvest sharing partnerships in southeastern Minnesota. All deer taken during agency culling will be available for donation.
Only individuals who have been contacted will receive a deer. The DNR will test all agency culled deer for chronic wasting disease. Only deer with a not-detected test result will be distributed to people on the list.
Deer will be cut into standard meat cuts (chops, steaks, roasts) or bagged trimmings and then boxed.
How to receive venison
Those who would like to receive donated venison can sign up on this first-come, first-served donation list. Anyone who previously signed up and did not yet receive venison will not lose their spot on the list. Please note: As of 1/17/2020, the list has 568 people.
As venison becomes available, likely starting in mid-to-late February, a Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA) or Bluffland Whitetails Association representative will reach out to people already on the list from last season.
Recipients must pick up deer at the specified location they chose during sign-up; additional details about pick-up will be provided once you are contacted.
Pickup locations and times:
- Rochester: Tuesdays, 5:30–7 p.m. (Coyote Creek: 3600 S Broadway, Rochester, MN 55904)
- Winona: Thursdays, 5:30–7 p.m. (Ace Hardware: 320 W 2nd St, Winona, MN 55987)
Venison distribution report from the 2018-2019 season
- 705 people signed up to receive venison.
- 553 deer were given out throughout all efforts, including special and late hunts, and agency culling.
- About 280 individuals received deer.