On four days in 2022, all 75 Minnesota state parks and state recreation areas will offer free admission to everyone. Mark your calendar for these fee-free dates:
- Saturday, February 19
- Saturday, April 23
- Saturday, June 11
- Friday, November 25
Minnesota state parks are open year-round, and there's a state park within 30 miles of most Minnesotans. With a free day in each season, it's a great opportunity to get out there and explore someplace new - or visit an old favorite at a new time of year! Whether you stay for the whole weekend or just spend a few hours outside, you'll make memories that will last a lifetime.
The entrance fee waiver for fee-free days does not cover amenity or user fees for activities like camping, rentals, or special tours.
The goal is to encourage families to spend time together with a walk outdoors. Research shows that walking offers multiple benefits, from increased creativity and better brain function to more flexibility and stamina. So you won't just burn calories, you'll also improve your well-being.
- What if I want to stay overnight?
You do not need a to buy a state park vehicle permit when you stay overnight on a free park day. The permit exemption is good until camping or lodging check-out time.
- I need help deciding where to go!
- Minnesota has 75 state parks and recreation areas - see where they are on the map.
- Use the ParkFinder to help identify parks with specific amenities you want, like playgrounds or waterfalls.
- Want to see what the park is like before you leave home? Check out the virtual tours!
- Explore camping and lodging options, and make a reservation online if you want to stay overnight. Plan ahead - these spaces can fill up early!
- I need ideas for what to do!
- Many parks hold programs and events throughout the year. Visit the online events calendar to see what's scheduled the day of your visit.
- Check out the web pages for activities to do in the summer - or in the winter.
- We've put together a few trip itineraries. Try one, or create your own.
- For even more ideas, subscribe to our monthly Trailblazer newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter!
- I had a great experience on Free Park Day and I'm ready for more.
Terrific! Buy an annual or daily vehicle permit to keep on exploring all 75 Minnesota state parks and recreation areas.
Coming to the park? Know the "Key 3:"
- Plan to be flexible, and consider exploring new destinations. Parks are busy on these free days, so we encourage you to discover a new favorite!
- Arrive prepared. Check visitor alerts and download maps before your trip.
- Recreate responsibly. Help conserve these special places for the future by staying on trails and leaving no trace.