Interested in a career as a naturalist?
Each year, Naturalist Corps and MinnAqua interns gain valuable on-the-job, career-driven summer work experience in Minnesota state parks and on state trails.
For 2019, we will be hiring Naturalist Corps and MinnAqua internships at the following State Park locations: Fort Snelling (2 positions), Itasca (2 positions), Interstate area, Jay Cooke, Sibley, Tettegouche, and Whitewater.
Naturalist Corps members will:
- Interact with park and trail visitors of all ages.
- Present recreational and educational programs under the mentorship of a Parks and Trails naturalist.
- Gain experience in display development, new technology, resource management, and park and trail operations.
- Attend required training.
How to apply
Apply online from January 2 - 31, 2019.
- Log onto Minnesota Careers.
- Enter "intern" in the Keywords field on the Job Search Page.
- Select "Natural Resources Dept" in the "Agency" column on the left side of the page.
- Choose the internship(s) you’re interested in.
- Click the apply button to submit your application.
Naturalist Corps and MinnAqua internships are 3.5 month, full-time summer positions that are available from early to mid-May through Labor Day (flexible, varies according to school year and state park). The work hours vary, but will include afternoons, evenings, days, weekends and holidays.
Pay is $15 per hour. No benefits, but uniforms are provided.
- Present and/or lead programs and activities to a variety of audiences ranging from children to adults. About 85% of the job involves public speaking to large through small groups of visitors. These programs may include nature walks, campfire talks, demonstrations, PowerPoint presentations and outdoors skill-building activities that relate to the park's natural, cultural and recreational resources.
- Staff the park's visitor center and answer questions received from the public.
- Assist park staff in conducting resource management activities such as invasive species control, plant and animal inventories and research, and seed harvesting.
- Complete special projects and training as assigned.
To qualify, applicants must meet the following qualifications and follow the application directions in the job posting:
- Must be a permanent Minnesota resident for Naturalist Corps positions (not required for MinnAqua or interpretive intern positions).
- Must be in an approved college internship program.
- Effective verbal/written communications skills.
- Must have completed one year of post-secondary education (college/tech school, etc. in a natural or cultural history related field, environmental outdoor education, natural resources management, or environmental studies).
- Ability to occasionally lift articles such as 50-pound bags of feed (maximum) and frequently lift and/or carry objects such as heavy tools and file boxes.
- Must have a valid Class D driver's license.
- Be physically able to traverse rugged and varied terrain.
- Enjoy working with park visitors in an outdoor setting.
This program is made possible by funds from the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment.