Deer zones and permit areas
View the preliminary harvest totals for the 2019 season. Totals are updated every one or two business days.
Check the lottery
Special hunt information
Special hunts are scheduled in specific deer permit areas in the southeast CWD management zone in late December.
Find answers to common questions
Check out the deer season FAQ to get answers to the most-asked deer hunting questions questions.
It's wet out there
If you're headed out to hunt, check ahead to ensure your destination isn't flooded.
- Call local sources.
- Check for a visitor alert on the wildlife management area where you're hunting.
- Check for temporary road and trail closures.
- Check with the area wildlife office nearest to your hunting location.
- Scout yourself. But be aware that you may not be able to turn a vehicle around if an area is impassable so walking might be the best option.
Mandatory CWD testing
CWD sample submission is mandatory in select deer permit areas where CWD has been found, including the southeast management zone, the north central management zone, the southeast control zone and the central surveillance area.
Test for CWD yourself
If you hunt in a deer permit area where there is no mandatory CWD testing but still would like to have your deer checked, you can collect a lymph node sample and pay for a private test.
Watch the video »
Visit the deer management page to learn about what the DNR does so Minnesotans can enjoy the benefits of a thriving and disease-free deer population.
For more harvest reports, harvest maps, population modeling, winter severity indexes and surveys, visit the deer reports and statistics page.
- Mandatory deer harvest registration – There are three ways to register harvested deer
- Registration stations
Youth deer hunting
Looking for youth deer hunting information? You can find the information in the Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations booklet.
- Licenses and firearms safety
- Youth deer season
- Special youth deer hunts
- Firearms safety and apprentice hunters
- Camp Ripley archery hunt
- Firearms (deadline for all these hunts is Thursday, Sept. 5)
- State park hunts
- Disease management hunts
- 2019 regulations
- Mandatory CWD testing
- Questions & answers
- Lead information for hunters
- Legal big game cartridges
- Sunrise and sunset data
- Landowner deer licenses
- Tree stand safety
- Venison donation program
Get Deer Notes
Receive deer management insights and information directly from the DNR's deer biologist in your email.